Our history spans over a century. It all started on Broadway in a young city named San Francisco. The following time line provides a glimpse into the historic creation of the comprehensive ESCO product offering and details the beginnings of what is now a fourth generation business.
1900- W.A. England and H.D. Skellinger founded the Eng-Skell Co., deriving the name from the first syllables of the names of the partners. The early manufacturing of the company was confined to a few items. In their first years they made flavoring extracts for the bakery and bottling trades and specialties such as ginner brandy and orange bitters for the bar trade.
1905- The Eng-Skell Company was incorporated and relocated to Fremont Street which allowed greater access to the fruit markets and shipping docks. The fountain fruit line was expanded to include strawberries, pineapple and bananas.
1906- The Great San Francisco fire and earthquake destroyed several large areas of the city including the plant. Although the insurance company went bankrupt and could not pay on the policy, the safe containing the formulae, seal and ledger was salvaged. This allowed the business to be re-established in August and in October the Company moved to its new location on Valencia Street.
Daniel Bosschart, who had joined the firm as a salesman the year prior, purchased Skellingers interest in the company for one dollar down and one dollar a week. In time Daniel Bosschart would eventually become President and own 100% of Eng-Skell Company.
1907- The soda fountain was just beginning to become popular. Recognizing the future possibilities, the company entered into the manufacture of crushed fruits, toppings and fountain syrups for this particular trade, and quickly stepped into leadership in this field on the Pacific Coast.
1912- The Company added soda fountains and equipment to their line, and in the years following were distributors for two of the largest manufacturers of fountains in the United States.
1922- The Los Angeles Branch was opened and functioned as the Southern California sales, display, warehousing, office and shipping center.
1930- The company built a dramatic three-story Art Deco building in the SOMA district of San Francisco. Architect A.C. Griewank designed the versatile 100,000 square foot site to include a laboratory, manufacturing plant, warehouse and office space. A Research Department was maintained which employed a staff of trained chemists. The new facility allowed for the continuous development of new products for the soda fountain, confectionery, ice cream and bakery trades, and solidified Eng-Skells position as the industry leader.
1930- The Great Depression reduced company sales by 40%. While most companies closed permanently, Eng-Skell established a partnership with the Bank that would allow continued operations. The note was paid within seven years.
1934- Daniel Bosschart acquired the M. Getz Company (Monogram Brand) to better position the company within the newly formed bakery division. During the same year, the Los Angeles branch added a complete line of soda fountains, ice cream cabinets, freezers and store fixtures.
1941- During the war period, business with the armed forces increased tremendously. Considerable merchandise and fixtures were shipped overseas to practically every Army and Navy Base in the Pacific war area.
1957- As a result of President Bosscharts “Vanilla Drive”, Vanilla Extract sales doubled in four years to over 4500 gallons per year.
1966- Total sales are over $10,000,000 with branches in Phoenix, Sacramento, Colton, Eureka, San Jose, Fresno and Reno.
1971- Esco Foods becomes the first company to successfully package hot items and syrups into paper cartons.
1985- Esco Foods Inc., becomes the primary business entity which produces and manages the entire product catalogue.
1991- The company developes a co-packing service which enable private labeling programs in the Western United States.
2004- escofoods.com is launched, creating the first ever retail channel of Esco branded products offered directly to the consumer.